Abbott Laboratories 8-K 2009
Documents found in this filing:
RESTRICTED STOCK AGREEMENT
This Restricted Stock Agreement (the Agreement), made on «DateAwded» (the Grant Date), between Abbott Laboratories, an Illinois corporation (the Company), and «Name» (the Employee), provides for the grant by the Company to the Employee of a Restricted Stock Award (the Award) under the Companys 1996 Incentive Stock Program (the Program). This Agreement incorporates and is subject to the provisions of the Program. To the extent not defined herein, capitalized terms shall have the same meaning as in the Program, and in the event of any inconsistency between the provisions of this Agreement and the provisions of the Program, the Program shall control.
The terms and conditions of the Award are as follows:
shall be forfeited as of the date of termination, without consideration to the Employee or the Employees executor, administrator, personal representative or heirs (Representative), provided, however, that in the event that the Employee is involuntarily discharged by the Company and its Subsidiaries other than for cause, the Company shall have the authority (but not the obligation) to act, in its sole discretion, to accelerate the lapse of the Restriction set forth in Section 3 above in whole or in part and to cause some or all of the Shares that have not previously been paid out on a Delivery Date set forth in Section 3 above to be settled in the form of Shares on the date of such involuntary discharge.
6. Withholding Taxes. The Employee may satisfy any federal, state, local or foreign taxes arising from delivery of the Shares pursuant to Section 3 or 4 above by (i) tendering a cash payment, (ii) having the Company withhold Shares from the Shares to be delivered to satisfy the minimum applicable withholding tax, (iii) tendering Shares received in connection with the Award back to the Company, or (iv) delivering other previously acquired Shares having a Fair Market Value approximately equal to the amount to be withheld. The Company shall have the right and is hereby authorized to withhold from the Shares deliverable to the Employee pursuant to Section 3 or 4 above or from any other compensation or other amount owing to the Employee such amount as may be necessary in the opinion of the Company to satisfy all such taxes, requirements and withholding obligations. If the Company withholds from the Shares for tax purposes, the Employee is deemed to have been issued the full number of Shares underlying the Award, notwithstanding that a number of the Shares are held back solely for the purpose of satisfying any such taxes, requirements and withholding obligations.
7. No Right to Continued Employment. Neither the Program nor this Agreement shall confer upon the Employee the right to continue in the employ or service of the Company or any Subsidiary, to be entitled to any remuneration or benefits not set forth in the Program or this Agreement or other agreement, or to interfere with or limit in any way the right of the Company or any such Subsidiary to terminate the Employees employment or service or to exercise any of the other rights of the Company or its Subsidiaries under the Agreement.
8. Data Privacy. This grant of Shares shall be interpreted to effect the original intent of the Company as closely as possible to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law (including, without limitation, any laws governing data privacy). If any condition or provision of this grant is invalid, illegal, or incapable of being enforced under any applicable law or regulation governing data privacy, including the privacy laws and regulations of the European Economic Area, all other conditions and provisions of the Shares shall nevertheless remain in full force and effect. By accepting this grant, the Employee voluntarily and unambiguously acknowledges and consents to the collection, use, processing and transfer of Personal Data (defined below) as described in this paragraph, in electronic or other form. The Employee is not obliged to consent to such collection, use, processing and
transfer of Personal Data. However, failure to provide the consent may affect the Employees ability to participate in the Program. The Employee understands that the Company and its Subsidiaries hold certain personal information about the Employee, including, but not limited to, the Employees name, home address and telephone number, date of birth, social security number or other employee identification number, salary, nationality, job title, the number of Shares (if any) owned by the Employee, whether the Employee is a member of the Board of Directors of the Company or of any of its Subsidiaries, details of all stock options or any other entitlement to Shares awarded, canceled, purchased, vested, unvested or outstanding in the Employees favor for the purpose of managing and administering the Program or this grant (collectively Personal Data). The Employee understands that the Company and its Subsidiaries will transfer Personal Data amongst themselves as necessary for the purpose of implementation, administration and management of the Employees participation in the Program, and the Company and/or any of its Subsidiaries may each further transfer Personal Data to any third parties assisting the Company in the implementation, administration and management of the Program, including UBS or such other stock plan service provider as may be selected by the Company in the future. These recipients may be located in the European Economic Area, or elsewhere throughout the world, such as the United States and the recipients country (e.g., the United States) may have different data privacy laws and protections than the Employees country. The Employee understands that the Employee may request a list with the names and addresses of any potential recipients of the Personal Data by contacting the local human resources representatives. The Employee hereby authorizes the Company and its Subsidiaries to receive, possess, use, retain and transfer the Personal Data, in electronic or other form, for the purposes of implementing, administering and managing the Employees participation in the Program, including any transfer of such Personal Data as may be required for the administration of the Program and/or the subsequent holding of Shares on the Employees behalf to a broker or other third party with whom the Employee may elect to deposit any Shares acquired pursuant to the Program. The Employee understands that Personal Data will be held only as long as is necessary to implement, administer and manage the Employees participation in the Program. The Employee may, at any time, review Personal Data, request additional information about the storage and processing of Personal Data, and require any necessary amendments to it. The Employee may, at any time, withdraw the consents herein, in any case without cost, in writing by contacting the Company; however, withdrawing the Employees consent may affect the Employees ability to participate in the Program.
9. Discharge for Cause. The term discharge for cause shall mean termination of the Employees employment with the Company and its Subsidiaries for (A) the Employees failure to substantially perform the duties of the Employees employment (other than any such failure resulting from the Employees disability); (B) material breach by the Employee of the terms and conditions of the Employees employment; (C) material breach by the
Employee of business ethics; (D) an act of fraud, embezzlement or theft committed by the Employee in connection with the Employees duties or in the course of the Employees employment; or (E) wrongful disclosure by the Employee of secret processes or confidential information of the Company or its Subsidiaries.
10. Voting Rights; Payment of Dividends. While the Restriction is in effect, the Employee shall be entitled to vote the Shares granted hereunder and shall be entitled to receive dividends paid on Shares to the same extent and on the same date paid to the Companys shareholders.
11. Compliance with Applicable Laws and Regulations. Notwithstanding any other provision of the Program or this Agreement to the contrary, the Company shall not be required to issue or deliver any Shares pursuant to Section 3 or 4 above pending compliance with all applicable federal and state securities and other laws (including any registration requirements or tax withholding requirements) and compliance with the rules and practices of any stock exchange upon which the Companys Shares are listed.
12. Section 409A. To the extent applicable, it is intended that this Agreement comply with, or be exempt from, the provisions of Code Section 409A. The Agreement will be administered and interpreted in a manner consistent with this intent, and any provision that would cause the Agreement to fail to satisfy Code Section 409A will have no force and effect until amended to comply therewith (which amendment may be retroactive to the extent permitted by Code Section 409A). Notwithstanding anything contained herein to the contrary, for all purposes of this Agreement, the Employee shall not be deemed to have had a termination of service unless the Employee has incurred a separation from service as defined in Treasury Regulation §1.409A-1(h) and, to the extent required to avoid accelerated taxation and/or tax penalties under Code Section 409A and applicable guidance issued thereunder, amounts that would otherwise be payable pursuant to the Agreement during the six-month period immediately following the Employees termination of service (including retirement) shall instead be paid on the first business day after the date that is six months following the Employees termination of service (or upon the Employees death, if earlier). For purposes of this Agreement, disability shall mean, as of a particular date, the Employee is, by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment that can be expected to result in death or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than twelve months, eligible to receive income replacement benefits under the terms of the Abbott Laboratories Extended Disability Plan (EDP) or, for an Employee whose employer does not participate in the EDP, such similar accident and health plan, providing income replacement benefits, in which the Employees employer participates, for a period of at least six months.
13. Succession. This Agreement shall be binding upon and operate for the benefit of the Company and its successors and assigns, and the Employee and the Employees Representative.
14. Severability. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Agreement shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement, and each other provision of the Agreement shall be severable and enforceable to the extent permitted by law. To the extent a court or tribunal of competent jurisdiction determines that any provision of this Agreement is invalid or unenforceable, in whole or in part, the Company, in its sole discretion, shall have the power and authority to revise or strike such provision to the minimum extent necessary to make it valid and enforceable to the full extent permitted under local law.
15. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois without giving effect to the conflict of laws principles thereof.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Company has caused this Agreement to be executed by its duly authorized officer as of the grant date above set forth.