This excerpt taken from the EYE 10-K filed Mar 1, 2007.
Although we expect that the acquisition will result in benefits to the combined company, the combined company may not realize those benefits because of integration and other challenges.
Our ability to realize the anticipated benefits of the acquisition will depend, in part, on our ability to integrate the business of IntraLase with our business. The combination of two independent companies is a complex, costly and time-consuming process. This process may disrupt the business of either or both of the companies, and may not result in the full benefits expected by us. The difficulties of combining the operations of the companies include, among others:
· coordinating marketing functions;
· unanticipated issues in integrating information, communications and other systems;
· unanticipated incompatibility of purchasing, logistics, marketing and administration methods;
· retaining key employees;
· consolidating corporate and administrative infrastructures;
· the diversion of managements attention from ongoing business concerns; and
· coordinating geographically separate organizations.
We cannot assure you that the combination of IntraLase with us will result in the realization of the full benefits anticipated from the acquisition.