Alvarion, based in Tel Aviv, Israel, is a leading provider of wireless access and transport equipment to the telecommunications carriers market, municipalities and other markets around the world. The company claims to have deployed more than three million units in approximately 150 countries. Alvarion is focused on wireless broadband networking solutions, including WiMAX platforms that enable the delivery of mobile broadband, business and residential broadband access, corporate VPNs, extensions to Wi-Fi hotspot and cell site coverage, community interconnection, and public safety communications.
Alvarion (ALVR) came out with earnings yesterday morning, May 5th, and according to the company, its first-quarter loss narrowed on markedly stronger sales. The company reported a net loss of $601,000, or 1 cent per share, compared with $623,000, or 1 cent per share, in the first quarter of 2007. (The per-share discrepancy is due to a higher number of outstanding shares compared with the same period last year).
Excluding discontinued operations, one-time costs and gains, the company earned $2 million, or 3 cents per share, compared with $1.3 million, or 2 cents per share, in the 2007 first quarter.
Sales reports, however, showed a very strong jump. The Tel Aviv, Israel-based company's quarterly sales jumped 29 percent to $67.2 million from $52.1 million in 2007. Cost of sales also rose to $34.3 million from $25.8 million last year, while operating expenses rose to $35 million from $30 million.
Alvarion also forecast second-quarter 2008 revenue of $67 million to $71 million and non-GAAP earnings of 0 to 4 cents a share from continuing operations. GAAP EPS are expected to range between a loss of 4 cents to 0 cents.
Categorizing sales by product type, WiMAX products generated 57.7% of total third quarter revenue while other legacy products generated the remaining 42.3%. Geographically, Europe, the Middle East, & Africa (EMEA) accounted for 54% of revenue, North America 20%, Latin America 19%, and Asia-Pacific & Australia (APAC) accounted for the remaining 7% of revenue. In the same quarter, Direct sales represented 42% of total revenue, Distribution sales 47%, and the remaining 11% was OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) sales.