This excerpt taken from the DELL 10-K filed Mar 18, 2010.
ITEM 2 PROPERTIES
At January 29, 2010, we owned or leased a total of approximately 19.7 million square feet of office, manufacturing, and warehouse space worldwide, approximately 9.4 million square feet of which is located in the U.S. We owned approximately 57% of this space and leased the remaining 43%. Included in these amounts are approximately 1.8 million square feet that are either vacant or sublet.
Our principal executive offices, including global headquarters, are located at One Dell Way, Round Rock, Texas. Our business centers, which include facilities that contain operations for sales, technical support, administrative, and support functions, occupy 10.3 million square feet of space, of which we own 36%. We own 4 million square feet of manufacturing space. Our design centers are housed in 1.5 million square feet of space, of which we own 49%.
Our acquisition of Perot Systems Corporation during Fiscal 2010 added over 3.0 million square feet of office and data center space worldwide, which is included above. During Fiscal 2010, we closed a manufacturing plant in Limerick, Ireland and a business center in Twin Falls, Idaho, and we sold our remanufacturing facility in Lebanon, Tennessee and business center in Pasay City, Philippines. At the end of Fiscal 2010, a business center in Coimbatore, India was under construction.
We plan to close our Winston-Salem, North Carolina manufacturing facility in Fiscal 2011 and have announced the sale of our Lodz, Poland manufacturing facility. We may continue to sell, close, and consolidate additional facilities depending on a number of factors, including end-user demand, capabilities, and progress in our continuous evaluation of our overall cost structure. We believe that our existing properties are suitable and adequate for our current needs and that we can readily meet our requirements for additional space at competitive rates by extending expiring leases or by finding alternative space.
As discussed in Part I Item 1 Business, we have four operating segments identified as Large Enterprise, Public, SMB and Consumer. Because of the interrelation of the products and services offered in each of these segments, we do not designate our properties to each segment. All four segments use substantially all of the properties at least in part, and we retain the flexibility to make future use of each of the properties available to each of the segments.