This excerpt taken from the HPQ 10-K filed Jan 14, 2005.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, Current Reports on Form 8-K and amendments to reports filed pursuant to Sections 13(a) and 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, are available on our website at http://investor.hp.com, as soon as reasonably practicable after HP electronically files such reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
As of October 31, 2004, we owned or leased a total of approximately 69 million square feet of space worldwide. We believe that our existing properties are in good condition and are suitable for the conduct of our business.
We anticipate that we will continue to obtain most of the capital necessary for expansion from internally generated funds. Investment in new property, plant and equipment amounted to approximately $2.1 billion in fiscal 2004, $2.0 billion in fiscal 2003 and $1.7 billion in fiscal 2002.
As of October 31, 2004, our sales and support operations occupied approximately 17 million square feet, of which approximately 4 million square feet were located within the United States. We own 38% of the space used for sales and support activities and lease the remaining 62%.
Our manufacturing plants, research and development facilities and warehouse and administrative facilities occupied approximately 52 million square feet, of which approximately 33 million square feet were located within the United States. We own 61% of our manufacturing, research and development, warehouse and administrative space and lease the remaining 39%. Our plants are equipped with machinery, most of which we own and which, in part, we developed to meet the special requirements of our manufacturing processes. At the end of fiscal 2004, we were productively utilizing the majority of the space in our facilities, while actively disposing of space we determined to be excess.
The property we own is not subject to any material encumbrances.
As indicated above, we have seven business segments: PSG, IPG, ESS, HPS, HPFS, Software and Corporate Investments. Because of the interrelation of these segments, a majority of these segments use substantially all of the properties at least in part, and we retain the flexibility to use each of the properties in whole or in part for each of the segments.
Our principal executive offices, including global headquarters, are located at 3000 Hanover Street, Palo Alto, California, United States of America. The locations of our headquarters of geographic operations at October 31, 2004 were as follows: