This excerpt taken from the HPQ 10-K filed Jan 14, 2005.
Liquidity Management Corporation
At October 31, 2001, HP held a 49.5% equity interest in Liquidity Management Corporation ("LMC"), a non-strategic investment company, which HP accounted for under the equity method of accounting. A third party investor held the remaining 50.5% of equity interest. On November 1, 2001, LMC redeemed the outstanding equity of the third party investor, leaving HP as the sole stockholder of LMC. Accordingly, effective November 1, 2001, HP has included the assets, liabilities and results of operations of LMC in its Consolidated Financial Statements. At November 1, 2001, the assets of LMC consisted primarily of $879 million of cash and cash equivalents.