This excerpt taken from the JAS DEF 14A filed Apr 28, 2008.
TO BE HELD JUNE 11, 2008
To our Shareholders:
The Annual Meeting of Shareholders of Jo-Ann Stores, Inc. will be held at the Conference Center at our corporate offices located at 5373 Darrow Road, Hudson, Ohio, on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 at 9:00 a.m., eastern daylight saving time, for the following purposes:
1. To elect eight directors whose terms will expire at the time of the 2009 Annual Meeting of Shareholders.
2. To ratify the selection of Ernst & Young LLP to serve as our independent registered public accountants for our fiscal year ending January 31, 2009.
3. To approve a new Incentive Compensation Plan.
4. To approve a new Associate Stock Ownership Plan.
5. To transact such other business as may properly come before the meeting.
All shareholders are cordially invited to attend the meeting, although only those holders of common shares of record at the close of business on April 14, 2008 will be entitled to vote at the meeting.
Whether or not you plan to attend the meeting, your vote is important and we encourage you to vote promptly. If you received in the mail only a Notice of the meeting, you may vote your shares via the Internet or by telephone by following the instructions on the Notice. If you received a paper copy of the proxy card by mail or request printed copies of the proxy materials, you may vote by Internet or telephone or by signing, dating and submitting your proxy card and returning it by mail in the envelope provided. Instructions regarding all three methods of voting are contained on the proxy card. Instructions for requesting printed copies of the proxy materials are set forth on the Notice. If you attend the meeting, you may revoke your proxy and vote your shares in person.
The proxy statement accompanies this notice.
Senior Vice President
General Counsel & Secretary
By order of the Board of Directors
April 28, 2008