Founded in 1977, Micros Systems, Inc. is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland. It was formerly known as Picos Manufacturing, Inc. and changed its name to Micros Systems, Inc. in 1978. The company designs, manufactures, markets, and services enterprise information solutions for the hospitality and specialty retail industries.
The hospitality industry comprises various market areas including lodging, table service restaurants, quick service restaurants, entertainment venues, business foodservice operations, casinos, transportation foodservice, government operations, and cruise ships.
The specialty retail industry consists of retail operations selling directly to consumers, including retailers of clothing, shoes, food, hardware, jewelry, and other specialty items.
The enterprise information solutions comprise hotel information systems, restaurant information systems, and specialty retail information systems. The hotel information systems include property based management systems (PMS), sales and catering systems, central reservation systems (CRS), customer information systems, and revenue management systems. The restaurant information systems consist of hardware and software for point-of-sale (POS) and operational applications, a suite of back-office applications, including inventory, labor, and financial management, and certain centrally hosted enterprise applications. The specialty retail information systems comprise retail store software automation systems and business intelligence applications for loss prevention, customer relationship management, gift cards, and audit control.
Micros Systems operates in the United States, Europe, the Pacific Rim, and Latin America. For financial purposes, the company reports its business in two segments United States and International. By geography, the U.S. segment accounted for 46% of the total revenues in fiscal 2007 while the International segment contributed the remaining 54%. By product mix, Hardware accounted for 29.8% of total revenues in fiscal 2007, Software contributed 16.9% of total revenues, and Service revenues represented the remaining 53.3%.
Micros Systems Inc.
POS Integration System
Source: Micros System Inc.