QUOTE AND NEWS
newratings.com  Apr 27  Comment 
WASHINGTON (dpa-AFX) - OSI Systems Inc. (OSIS) announced a profit for third quarter that fell compared to the same period last year. The company said its earnings declined to $12.69 million, or $0.64 per share. This was down from $15.94 million,...
newratings.com  Jan 27  Comment 
WASHINGTON (dpa-AFX) - OSI Systems Inc. (OSIS) announced earnings for second quarter that fell from last year. The company said its bottom line dropped to $8.15 million, or $0.40 per share. This was down from $19.74 million, or $0.96 per share,...
Benzinga  Nov 18  Comment 
Verisign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN) shares rose 0.67 percent to touch a new 52-week high of $84.48. Verisign shares have jumped 37.57 percent over the past 52 weeks, while the S&P 500 index has gained 0.07 percent in the same period. Cantel Medical...




 
TOP CONTRIBUTORS

OSI Systems, Inc. is a vertically integrated designer and manufacturer of specialized electronic systems and components for critical applications. It sells its products in diversified markets, including homeland security, healthcare, defense and aerospace. The company has three operating divisions: Security, Healthcare, and Optoelectronics and Manufacturing.

Business Growth

Most of the company's customers are governments. With homeland security spending at all-time highs, OSIS has seen double-digit growth over the past few years, particularly in the company's security division.[1] The other divisions have also seen growth due to a broad-based global economic recovery from the recession.

Key Trends and Forces

Counter-Terrorism and Defense Spending

The threat of terrorism jumped to the forefront of American foreign policy and defense spending after September 11, 2001. Since that time, defense spending has increased nearly $200 billion in order to pursue wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but also to secure the US borders and ensure the safety of air travel and international shipping.[2] OSI Systems' products are sold to governments and government contractors around the world to assist in the noninvasive X-ray screening of cargo, travelers, and vehicles. The company is highly exposed to the forces that govern government spending and any decreased allocations for port, air cargo, or other shipping security would pose a significant challenge to OSIS's continued success.[3]

Large Amounts of International Business Expose the Company to Political and Currency Risks

North America provides approximately 60% of all of the company's revenues.[4] The remaining 40% is distributed among Europe and Asia [4] Business is conducted in a variety of global currencies, and changes in currency values are a risk to revenue. The devaluation of the US dollar versus other currencies makes doing business in other countries more expensive in US dollars, but also made revenue abroad worth more in US dollars. Because OSIS makes the majority of its revenues from the US, a decrease in the value of the dollar raises revenues.


Competition

Since OSIS is a diversified technology firm, different divisions in the company face different competitors. In addition, the competitors do not offer very similar products, improving the competitive background of OSIS's industries.

References

  1. Marketwatch.com: OSI Systems Reports Third Quarter Fiscal 2011 Financial Results
  2. US Defense Spending and Budget: The Mismatch Between Spending and Resources, Heritage Foundation, 6/7/10
  3. When is a Spike in Terrorism Good News?, Motley Fool, 11/10/10
  4. 4.0 4.1 Wikinvest SEC Files: OSIS 2010 10-K
Wikinvest © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Use of this site is subject to express Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, and Disclaimer. By continuing past this page, you agree to abide by these terms. Any information provided by Wikinvest, including but not limited to company data, competitors, business analysis, market share, sales revenues and other operating metrics, earnings call analysis, conference call transcripts, industry information, or price targets should not be construed as research, trading tips or recommendations, or investment advice and is provided with no warrants as to its accuracy. Stock market data, including US and International equity symbols, stock quotes, share prices, earnings ratios, and other fundamental data is provided by data partners. Stock market quotes delayed at least 15 minutes for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and AMEX. Market data by Xignite. See data providers for more details. Company names, products, services and branding cited herein may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. The use of trademarks or service marks of another is not a representation that the other is affiliated with, sponsors, is sponsored by, endorses, or is endorsed by Wikinvest.
Powered by MediaWiki