This excerpt taken from the PBI 10-Q filed May 7, 2009.
12. Noncontrolling Interests (Preferred Stockholders Equity in Subsidiary Companies)
Pitney Bowes International Holdings, Inc., a subsidiary of the Company, has 3,750,000 shares outstanding or $375 million of variable term voting preferred stock owned by certain outside institutional investors. These preferred shares are entitled to 25% of the combined voting power of all classes of capital stock. All outstanding common stock of Pitney Bowes International Holdings, Inc., representing the remaining 75% of the combined voting power of all classes of capital stock, is owned directly or indirectly by Pitney Bowes Inc. The preferred stock, $.01 par value, is entitled to cumulative dividends at rates set at auction. The weighted average dividend rate was 4.8% for the three months ended March 31, 2009 and 2008, respectively. Preferred dividends are included in noncontrolling interests (preferred stock dividends of subsidiaries) in the Condensed Consolidated Statements of Income. The preferred stock is subject to mandatory redemption based on certain events, at a redemption price not less than $100 per share, plus the amount of any dividends accrued or in arrears. No dividends were in arrears at March 31, 2009, December 31, 2008 or March 31, 2008. A rollforward of noncontrolling interests is as follows: