This excerpt taken from the VECO 8-K filed Oct 30, 2009.
Item 8.01 Other Events
On October 28, Veeco Instruments Inc. (Veeco) entered into an Underwriting Agreement (the Underwriting Agreement) with Citigroup Global Markets Inc., J.P. Morgan Securities Inc., as Representatives of the several underwriters named in Schedule II thereto (collectively, the Underwriters), for the sale of 5,000,000 shares of Veecos common stock at a price to the public of $23.75 per share pursuant to a registration statement on Form S-3 (File No. 333-162669). In addition, the Underwriters have an option to purchase up to an additional 750,000 shares of Veecos common stock on the same terms for 30 days from the date of the Underwriting Agreement, solely to cover over-allotments. The offering is expected to close on November 3, 2009, subject to customary closing conditions. The above description of the Underwriting Agreement is qualified in its entirety by reference to the Underwriting Agreement, which is filed as Exhibit 1.1 hereto and incorporated herein by reference. Morrison & Foerster LLP, counsel to Veeco, has issued an opinion to Veeco, dated October 28, 2009 regarding the legality of the issuance and sale of its common stock in the offering. A copy of the opinion as to legality is filed as Exhibit 5.1 hereto.
This excerpt taken from the VECO 8-K filed May 20, 2009.
Item 8.01 Other Events
In 2006, Veeco Instruments Inc. (Veeco) purchased 19.9% of the common stock of Fluens Corporation (Fluens). Since then, Veeco and Fluens jointly developed a next-generation process for high-rate deposition of aluminum oxide for data storage applications. On May 14, 2009, Veeco purchased the remaining 80.1% of the outstanding stock of Fluens for $1.5 million (payable $0.5 million per quarter in each of the second, third and fourth quarters of 2009) plus an earnout. As a result, Fluens became wholly-owned by Veeco.
The information in this report shall not be deemed filed for purposes of Section 18 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the Exchange Act), or otherwise subject to the liabilities under that Section, nor shall this information be deemed to be incorporated by reference into any filing under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or the Exchange Act, except as expressly set forth by specific reference in such a filing.
Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned hereunto duly authorized.