Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) is a U.S. telecommunication company and provider of fixed-line, wireless, television, and data services. Its wireless division, Verizon Wireless, is a joint venture with Vodafone and represents the largest subscriber base with 94.1 million customers and 102.1 million total connections.. In fiscal year 2010, Verizon recorded revenues of $106.6 billion and net income of $2.5 billion.
Verizon's main business segments are its wireless and wireline segments. In 2010, to jumpstart its wireline business segment, which has experienced increased competition as customers switch to wireless products or less expensive alternatives such as VoIP technology, VZ has delved deeply into its Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH) service, FiOS, investing over $20 billion in 2010.
Verizon Communications was formed in 2000 with the merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE Corp, and offers a wide array of wireline and wireless voice and data transmission services via approximately 41.4 million residential and commercial access lines throughout the United States. After Verizon completed its $28.1 billion acquisition of Alltel in January 2009, Verizon Wireless became the largest wireless carrier in the United States.
In FY2010, Verizon growth reported record-high profitability as it continued to drive higher smartphone adoption and data use. Verizon recorded revenues of $106.6 billion and net income of $2.5 billion. Verizon's main business segments are Verizon Wireless and Verizon Wireline.
Verizon Wireless is the largest provider of wireless voice and data services in the United States. The business segment is a joint venture between Verizon and Vodafone; with Verizon holding a 55% stake in Verizon Wireless, and Vodafone holding the remaining 45%, it has controlling power over the company’s operations.. Its services include basic local and long distance wireless voice services, text messaging, music downloads, navigation and Internet access, V CAST Music and V CAST Mobile TV. The company has more than 25 multimedia phones that allow customers to browse and download songs, and the first true mobile TV service in the nation. (See 3G concept page for additional information on third-generation wireless technology.)
Both of Verizon Communications’ business segments are competitive players in the telecommunications industry. Its wireless business, which boasts the largest subscriber base, competes with other U.S. wireless carriers, including AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Its wireline business, which constantly faces challenges from new and potentially disruptive technologies, include non-wireline telecommunications providers such as VoIP, high-speed internet companies, and cable companies such as Time Warner Cable and Cablevision Systems (CVC).