Hyatt Hotels Corporation is a global hospitality and hotel company consisting of 453 Hyatt-branded properties (127,507 rooms and units). The company's largest geographical segment is the United States with almost 80% of revenues generated in the U.S while the remaining 20% of the revenues are generated internationally. Hyatt has improved its revenue and net income performance after the recession between 2008 and 2009 due to a global increase in demand for hospitality. In addition, Hyatt is improving its competitive standing by catering to consumers via internet reservations and price discrimination. 
Due to increased demand from a broad-based recovery from the the great recession, Hyatt has managed to substantially increase its net income and revenues from its 2009 lows Hyatt's expansion of using internet channels for room reservations, which offer different customer price points, have also helped them garner additional income while improving their competitive presence.
Based on Hyatt's recovery after the recession between 2008-2009, Hyatt is subject to declines and rapid recoveries from declines as dictated by the global business cycle. This recovery is due to an increase in personal income. Since decrease in personal disposable income brought forth the reduction in demand for hospitality and transportation industries, increasing incomes put upward pressure on demand for hotels and transport. This upward pressure has resulted in increased prices, which brings Hyatt more income.
In general, the hotel industry faces a threat from Internet reservation channels, which represent a growing share of hotel room bookings. These intermediate channels charge higher commissions and demand lower room rates from hotels, which puts tremendous pressure on the revenues as well as margins of hotels. Hyatt is expanding its presence in these internet reservation channels in hopes of garnering additional market share via providing different rooms at different prices to different consumer segments. 
Hyatt's main competitors are:
The industry is highly fragmented and no player commands more than 20 percent of the market share. Competition in the industry is generally based on the quality of rooms, restaurants, meeting facilities and services, attractiveness of locations, availability of a global distribution system, price and other factors.